VAT Number Validation
The EU provides a VAT number validation service. It allows to validate the VATIN (value added tax identification number) of businesses in the EU.
Note | Important Info
Be aware of the following specifics:
- The EU VAT number validation service is accessed via an insecure HTTP request.
- The EU VAT number validation service is designed for single, sporadic requests. In case your repeated requests are considered abusive use of the service, your IP address will be blocked for a certain period.
JustOn uses this service to check the VAT number of an account. The VAT check can be performed
- Individually for a single account, using a button on the account page, or
- For multiple accounts using a scheduled batch job.
The VAT number check is available as of JustOn 2.57.
By default, JustOn's VAT validation uses the VAT number as specified in the
VATIN field of the account as the source field. You can, however, overwrite this behavior by creating a custom field
ON_VATNumber on the Account object. Once this field exists, JustOn uses this field as the source. In order to validate the VAT number, the source field must not be empty.
The result of the VAT validation is written to fields on the Account object:
|VAT Number Valid||Selected if the VAT number is valid|
|VAT Validated Name||The name linked to the VAT number|
|VAT Validated Address||The address linked to the VAT number|
|Last VAT Validation||The timestamp of the last validation|
|Last Successful VAT Validation||The timestamp of the last successful validation|
|Last VAT Validation Error||The error message if the last validation was not successful|
The VAT validation only tells whether a given EU VAT information exists. It does not necessarily prove, however, that the given VAT number actually belongs to the current account.
Be aware of the following validation specifics:
- If the validation was not successful, only the fields
Last VAT Validationand
Last VAT Validation Errorare updated.
- The fields
VAT Number Valid,
VAT Validated Nameand
VAT Validated Addressreflect the result of the last successful validation.
- Modifying the value in the VAT number source field (
ON_VATNumber) does not automatically update the VAT validation result fields. JustOn therefore recommends to delete the validation result fields after changing the VAT number.
- Empty VAT number source fields (
ON_VATNumber) produce an error on manual VAT number check, prompting the user to specify a value, and make JustOn skip the corresponding accounts on automatic VAT number validation.
- The name and address linked to a VAT may not be available.
- If required, you can add the fields to the page layout of the Account object.