Certain business use cases require an invoice to be canceled. To this end, you create a cancellation invoice with the reversed amount, equalizing the invoice balance.
In addition to manually creating a cancellation invoice, you can set up a process to automate this operation. For details, see Setting Up Finalization or Cancellation Using Processes.
Invoice cancellation concepts
Invoices in the statuses
Paid can be canceled.
Canceling an invoice
The following steps outline the lifecycle of the canceled invoice and the cancellation invoice.
When a user cancels an open or paid invoice, JustOn
- creates a new draft invoice of the class
Creditand the type
- links it to the original invoice, which is displayed in the field
The new invoice includes all invoice line items of the original invoice with a reversed unit price.
When the user finalizes the cancellation invoice, JustOn will
- set the original invoice to the status
Canceledand link it to the cancellation invoice, which is displayed in the field
- unlink any received payments from the canceled (original) invoice,
- set the cancellation invoice to the status
- create clearing balances at the canceled (original) invoice and at the cancellation invoice.
After the cancellation is completed, both the original invoice and the cancellation invoice have an invoice balance of
0 and do no longer affect the account balance.
You can also cancel credits. This produces an invoice of the class
Invoice and the type
Bookkeeping data for cancellation invoices
- For each existing booking detail of the cancelled invoice, JustOn creates a new, "opposite" booking detail.
- For booking details of the type
Revenue, JustOn appends the related account number to the name of the new booking detail.
- For the amount of the new booking detail, JustOn sets the inverted amount of the existing booking detail.
The cancellation invoice uses the same invoice template as the original invoice. You can use the Cancellation template detail to override certain fields.
- Open the Invoices tab.
- Click the invoice ID to open the invoice's detail view.
- Click Cancel.
- Specify the cancellation reason.
This creates a new draft invoice of the class
Creditand the type
Cancellation, and links it to the original invoice, which is displayed in the field
To complete the cancellation process, you must finalize the cancellation invoice (see Finalizing Invoices).